Sunday 16 September 2007

First Race Win!

It had been a long time coming, but for the first time since the start of The Road to Beijing project I managed to win a 10km race. I entered the race in Clapham Common as a last minute re think as I had confused the date of next months Henley Half Marathon. Having read reports by last years entrants complaining that the race was in fact 12.3 km might have had something to do with a rather weaker field, with the more competitive minded runners worrying about the chances of getting a PB. Races that are 100 metres or so long are short are annoying but 2.3km long is just ridiculous.

I had one aim in mind and that was to stick with the leaders for as long as possible and finish as high up as I could, a time would be pointless so I decided to leave my watch at home. 400 or so runners toed the line and after a fast start over 500 meters I snuck in behind the lead pair trying to ascertain how good they really were. One guy was breathing way to hard for this earlier on but the other guy although older looked strong and experienced. After the first 2km or so I decided to put in a 30 second surge to see if he could stay with me. The gap opened at once and remained for the remainder of the the first of three laps, but the second place runner had changed, I did not recognise him from the start and he was beginning to close the gap.

I felt very relaxed, but decided that now was the time to step it up a gear, I felt like I was reaping the benefits of the hard work in training over the last two months. I still could not quite believe that I was winning, I was in the lead of a race and by quite some way. Towards the end of the second lap I started to lap some of the slower runners and decided that as I was still feeling very fresh I would pick it up another notch. By now the challenge from behind was fading and even though I knew the gap must have been more then a minute I could not quite bring myself to believe that I was going to win a race. With 1km to go I was passing the bulk of the field. I passed one group of guys who cried out as I passed them "you've got to be joking, that's so unfair" another commented "Its alright for some" as I steamed passed. It did make be think however that this guy trundling along was me 18 months earlier, I don't have a genetic advantage over him, it's just that I have been prepared to train harder then him, and Yes I am afraid it is fair that I am lapping you.

I cruised the final km and crossed the line, awesome, love it, I've won a race! I was presented with champagne and gave a quick speech about how well all the runners were doing, the merits of the charity "Starfish" and also had time to congratulate the 2nd and 3rd place runners before jumping in the car and headed home. Job done.

The Serpentine 5km at the end of the month won't be quite this easy.

No comments: